Granada, San Juan del Sur & Southwest Nicaragua: A Great Destination

Explorer's Guide Granada, San Juan del Sur & Southwest Nicaragua: A Great Destination - Paige R. Penland 3.5 stars. I picked up two books on Nicaragua for my trip. This was a good find in terms of travel books specifically for the region, which is where I stayed and which I understand is the more tourist-y section of the country. The information about the destinations, the history, and the regional highlights was useful and thorough. The only drawback is that I found the recommendations on hotels, restaurants, and pricing, etc. were inaccurate in terms of how much things cost and when they were open. For example, the Mombacho Vulcano was listed as only open on Tuesday and Wednesday by reservation, which would have been really disappointing for me because those were the only days I could go. In reality, they were open to the public without reservation. I understand that those things are hard to keep up with (especially prices in a rapidly developing area), but yeah...it was noticeable and you should definitely go into your use of this book with the knowledge that prices will be different and you should confirm operating times with your hotel's concierge.