An Uncommon Whore (An Uncommon Whore, #1)

An Uncommon Whore (An Uncommon Whore, #1) - Belinda McBride The short review:

It was hot. It was good. It was weird. It was exciting. It was emotional. It was fun.

I really liked it.

The extended version:

This book started off with a bang. (Er...pun...possibly intended?) "Pasha" is a beautiful whore with no name, no history, no age, and no memory. He's simply the possession of a humanoid "owner" who whores him out to support his gambling habits. So when Pasha finds himself at a seedy bar where it's too dangerous even for female whores, he's not surprised and can only daydream - futilely - of escape from his present circumstances. Little does he know that the hardened yet compellingly virile mercenary across the room is about to recognize him as Helios Dayspring, the ruler who went missing during a war on their now-former home planet.

Thus begins this fun and energetic road romance of discovery. Helios's unexpected rescuer, through daring deeds of derring-do, soon sweeps him away from his shackled existence for more otherworldly destinations. During this trip, we uncover Helios's history and what happened in his conversion from royalty to whore. In addition to this overarching background, we see Helios and his mercenary, who is actually Captain Griffin Hawke of the royal guard, make rediscoveries of their long-buried emotional ties to each other. The question of how Helios will be received once he ultimately lands on his (new) home planet is always present to lend some tension to the story through the end.

There is a lot of sex in this relatively shorter story. That said, I felt like the sexytimes were well done and also furthered the relationship between Lio and Griffin. Before, they had never fully consummated their feelings for each other because of what each perceived as the struggle for dominance in penetration. Now, we see that Lio's years as a whore have wiped away that notion, and Griffin's own acceptance and openness later to this aspect of loving his Lio (and being loved by Lio) help to complete the picture of their emotional and physical partnership.

Only a couple of drawbacks come to mind. The ending felt a little rushed, and I think we needed another chapter or so to show how things shook down on the home planet. Also, I would have liked for Helios's history and relationships (e.g., with his family, with his troops, etc.) to be fleshed out a bit more. Finally, it's prostate, not prostrate. *smacks forehead*

All told, though, I really liked An Uncommon Whore. The journey through space and to different planets was fun and adventurous, and the sexytimes were hot hot hot.