The Ice Princess (Princes Trilogy, #3.5)

The Ice Princess (Princes Trilogy, #3.5) - Elizabeth Hoyt 3.5-4 stars. As is inevitably the case with most of these shorter novella-length stories, there wasn't enough character depth and development, even though the foundations and backgrounds for the main characters were built well. The characters were sketched well, but I would have appreciated a more fully drawn picture of them.

We met Coral Smythe in Hoyt's The Raven Prince, in which her cynicism and bold personality set her apart from the other secondary characters. I'm not a fan of mistress or courtesan heroine stories, but Hoyt does this one well and Coral doesn't make any apologies for what she is. The H, Isaac, is well aware of what she is, too, and loves her anyway. Regardless of the unconventional way in which he wins his time with Coral, Isaac is an honorable man, and I liked reading about his efforts at wooing and thawing the skittish Coral. I was thoroughly relieved and pleased to see that, however unrealistic it may be for an "honorable" man to overlook her profession, Isaac doesn't feel angst or doubt over his attraction towards and emotional draw to Coral. Instead, the one who must be convinced of the authenticity of his feelings - and the meaning of her own feelings - is Coral.

The Ice Princess is an enjoyable and engaging story, and Hoyt even manages to include both sizzling sexytimes AND her trademark accompanying fairy tale in this little bon bon of a tale.

Overall, this is a worthwhile read ($1.99 on Kindle, I believe) for those of us who are always chomping at the bit for our next Elizabeth Hoyt fix. It can be read as a standalone if you haven't read the Prince novels yet (but you should read that trilogy, too, because it's awesome!). :)