Unlocked (Turner, #1.6)

Unlocked (Turner, #1.6) - Courtney Milan For a shorter story/novella, I thought this story packed quite a punch. Overall, there was a surprising level of depth and development that played out in the span of 120 odd pages. I really liked the portrayal of Lady Elaine as a tormented wallflower who nevertheless retained her sense of self-worth and didn't lapse into a chasm of self-pity. Oh, there were clearly times when others made her life miserable (and at their helm, the H), but from her thoughts and reasoning and the fact that she fought back in her own way, I held the impression that she still thought of herself as a person of value and worth. I liked her and wanted her to succeed, whichever course she decided to take with the H. This affinity for the character is in sharp contrast to how I felt about an h in a recent full-length read I finished, where the h's lack of self-worth made me want to shake her and throw things. *moving on*

In Unlocked, the story is pretty much split into two, with the first half setting the stage for the H's return from abroad and wanting to turn over a new leaf with the h (again, he was one of her major tormenters) and the second half showing the results of his attempts to turn over that leaf with the h. I would have liked to have seen a little more of Evan's developing the friendship with Elaine during the nine month span that passes between the first half and the second, but I know you can only do so much in a novella. I'm not a big novella reader, and I really liked this one. I think it's well worth the 99 cent price to enjoy. Also, I can lend this on Kindle if anyone wants to borrow it.