Nobody's Baby but Mine  - Susan Elizabeth Phillips Difficult one for me to rate. Once I got past the horrified reaction I had to Jane's cold-blooded plotting to steal Cal's sperm (which, come to think of it, I might never have fully gotten over), it was a fun enough enemies-to-lovers story. Despite her really morally atrocious actions, Jane was otherwise a sympathetic character. I liked her spunk; she was strong enough to stand up to Cal, which is no mean feat. Cal was (justifiably) appalled and outraged by her actions. I thought he was drawn well, though, and his frustrating thick-headedness over certain things made sense once I thought about it. I guess I just didn't see much of the romance in this book to lead them up to loving each other. We see a lot to establish the enemies-to-lovers aspect, but then we fast forward through their "learning about each other physically and emotionally" stage of the relationship to get to the throwing-things-at-each-other (not literally, but you know what I mean), this-stands-in-the-way-of-the-HEA conflict. I don't know...I guess I didn't think the romance was captured all that well here.

What really shone for me in this book, though, is the secondary story featuring Cal's parents, whose 37-year marriage was on the rocks. It was really heart-breaking to learn about their history and how they got to where they were. They were a wrong-side-of-the-tracks high school relationship that got thrown into marriage when she ended up pregnant with Cal. Their struggles and the ways they've drifted and changed over the years really captivated me. Their story - both in the past and the steps they were making now - was really moving, and I cried in four different places over their part of the book.

All in all, I'd say this would've been a 2.5ish book without the really enjoyable and emotional secondary romance. With it, I'd say a 3-3.5 book overall. Good, but there are better ones out there, I think.