Hello, Doggy! - Elaine Fox 2+/2.5 stars.

I think I've broken my recent contemporary streak.

This book wasn't necessarily bad; it just didn't sparkle/shine. I didn't connect with the heroine, who was distinctly unlikable for at least the first half of the book. She had a self-actualizing moment when she realized she was an unlikable know-it-all, but even then it actually felt a little uncomfortable to watch her strip herself down and try to remake/rediscover herself. Look at the title, the cover, and the blurb - this book should not make you feel uncomfortable!

On top of that, a good portion of her remaking herself seemed to be at the Saks Fifth Avenue makeup counter and clothing departments. Call me a raging feminist, but part of me just hates that she only "gained confidence" and "saw herself in a new light" when she put on some makeup and pretty clothing. *smacks forehead* I mean, what are we? 1950s housewives?? The more I think about it, the more I hate that part.

The hero was typical hero material of the "famous hunk with a heart of gold" standard. Secondary characters were okay, but (a) her ex-boyfriend was a pompous tool, and (b) I couldn't BELIEVE what her sister did towards the end.

Anyway, it was finish-able, but didn't hold my interest much more than that.