Where's My Hero? - Julia Quinn, Kinley MacGregor, Lisa Kleypas I seem to be on something of an anthology streak. This set of historicals provided a pleasant reading experience overall. As with most anthologies, the styles and quality varied. It's a 3-3.5-ish read overall.

Against the Odds by Lisa Kleypas: 3.5-4 stars. While I'm not necessarily one of those people who readily believes that Lisa Kleypas walks on water, I do think she consistently delivers stories and characters of quality in lush and sexy historical settings. This novella is no exception. I was especially tickled to learn that the heroine in this story is Lydia Craven - that's right, Derek and Sara's child. In this story, the hero, Jake Linley, has been holding a torch for Lydia (unbeknownst to her) for the last four years, and all this is kept under wraps until days before her wedding. Yup, the journey to the resolution is pretty fiery and passionate. I wish this story had been a little longer because I think we could have benefited from seeing more of Lydia's reasoning for being in love with Jake and having denied it all these years. I found it easier to believe in his unrequited love since we didn't see his POV much and, hence, he remained an enigma. Since we didn't see his POV often, the veiled tension between the two in the past - and that Lydia finds so inexplicable - could be more easily explained by his unrequited love. Even so, this was a very good (and steamy!) story.

Midsummer's Knight by Kinley MacGregor: 2 stars. I didn't really care for this one. It's set in MacGregor's medieval Brotherhood of the Sword world and features Simon of Ravenswood, who has been carrying on a correspondence with a highborn lady, who thinks she is corresponding with Simon's friend, a powerful earl. Simon and Lady Kenna's love for each other is resolved early (like...EARLY...first 1/3-1/2 of the story), and the tension after that arises from her being highborn and his being a landless knight. This story didn't really hold my interest, and I've discovered I'm just not a fan of MacGregor's breezy writing style. I don't think the tone fits the medieval setting, but I'm more forgiving of it in Kenyon's contemporary Dark-Hunter world. (MacGregor is a pen name for Sherrilyn Kenyon, who pens contemporary paranormal romance.)

A Tale of Two Sisters by Julia Quinn: 4 stars. This was a sweet story about a viscount, Ned Blydon, who finds himself betrothed to the wrong sister. The drama of the story and (the breaking of!) the betrothal takes place over the course of the three days before the wedding. Normally I'm a little skeptical of how this type of love story can come about with the seemingly insurmountable odds (the poor sister who thinks she's getting married! the poor viscount, who can't jilt her out of his sense of duty and honor!) etc etc., but trust Quinn to make it work in this instance. I thought the premise would set itself up for an angsty throw down with waterworks and fireworks, but I should have known that Julia Quinn would deliver her usual trademark bonbon of a story with likable characters, sparkling conversation, and a tidy and sweet resolution that left me with a smile on my face. Given that this is a novella length, we don't have the opportunity to get very much depth out of the characters, but what I did see I liked. It might be a little weird to think the two of them fell in love over the course of a few days, but I'm prepared to take that leap into Romancelandia timelines. This is one of Julia Quinn's earlier works (copyright 2003), so if you're skeptical about picking this one up after her more recent and less than stellar offerings, I suggest giving it a chance.