When Harry Met Molly - Kieran Kramer For the most part, I liked this book. That said, I have mixed feelings about parts of it where I thought it was uneven...which is where I ended up picking myself up and just heaving myself over those doubts.

I have to say, though, that one thing I found VERY distracting: bad editing! 1/3 of the time, Molly's eyes are blue; 2/3 of the time, they are a warm brown. Call me crazy, but this is DISTRACTING to the extreme. I'm not even a very picky everything-has-to-be-absolutely-precise-and-time-period-accurate reader usually. However, some things just can't slip by. Another thing that bothered me - references to time passing were inconsistent. Sometimes, Harry has been back from his military service for one year; others, several years. Again...distracting (and easy to fix, I would think!).

*shoves those things to the side*

Okay, having vented about that, here's what I DID like. I thought Harry was charming. He starts off a rather dissolute wastrel, but there's an underlying vein of goodness and honor that threads itself through his actions. I liked the interactions and chemistry between Harry and Molly. You could really feel sparks flying between them.

I thought the beginning of the book was a little bleh, and I wasn't sure if I'd like Molly (or even Harry!). She just didn't seem like a heroine I could relate to (she actually seemed TSTL in the first couple scenes, which included a botched Gretna Green run with an unworthy suitor). Harry at times seemed like he didn't GET how scandalous and outside Molly's realm of experience pretending to be a mistress would be (he later thinks this through and berates himself for it).

Needless to say, I (or she?) overcame these doubts.

Let me say up front that I'm not a fan of mistress Regencies, and the premise of the book (a mistress competition???) is a little shocking to the sensibilities of this reader of traditional Signet/Zebra Regencies. That said, the scandalous house party ended up a more enjoyable (and not as scandalous?) read than I anticipated.

I thought a number of the secondary characters were pretty well done. The mistresses, who started out catty, came out from behind that facade to reveal surprising depths (or, at least, less shallowness than originally expected). Other than Viscount Lumley, we didn't see much in terms of characterization of the other three bachelors in the Impossible Bachelors series. Even so, I saw enough of HIM to be curious as to his story.

In the end, I really liked reading about Harry and Molly, period. It's like they can't help being attracted to each other, and in being drawn together - not just physically, although maybe at first this is the case - they really get to know each other. They find they have a lot in common and really just want the best for each other. In terms of love scenes, I actually liked the way they were presented in this book. I felt like they actually furthered their couple-ness. Harry, who is lusty yet tender and struggling with his honor that refuses to let things go too far with Molly, and Molly, who is completely without artifice and possessed of a hoydenish curiosity...even in the bedroom, make a great pairing.

Overall, I'd say yes...I liked it, but with reservations. I liked it enough to try the second book, at least.