I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier - Crystal Rose 3.5-4 stars.

I laughed. I cried. I cringed at the numerous editing oversights. That pretty much sums it up.

Don't let the title fool you. This is actually a very good book that benefits greatly from its funny, tongue-in-cheek, honest main narrator, Ryan. His account of basic combat training/boot camp - and his impossible crush on his drill sergeant - is engrossing. The friendships and bonds that he made during basic combat training with the others in his squad are lifelong, and I loved seeing the other characters and how they developed later on in the story.

Structurally, the book focuses on the basic combat training for the first ~40%, then moves forward five years through letters between the friends, picking back up around 2006. We then see the group of friends reunited, and Ryan and his drill sergeant, Phillip, are now in a position (heh!) to pursue seriously their mutual attraction for each other. They date and are basically hunky dory until they are deployed (in the same unit) around 80% into the story. The narrative POV shifts away from the two main heroes at that point to take the POV of one of the secondary characters who is still "back home" and stays with that character up until about the last 10%, at which point we go back to the main heroes. That was an interesting choice, and I wasn't sure how I felt about getting into another character's head at the time. Looking back, I think it worked.

Note that, unless you were in the military or memorize acronyms for shits and giggles, you will probably need this Wikipedia list of U.S. government and military acronyms or this Acronym Finder website to help you figure out the meanings of the multiple acronyms that are scattered throughout the narrative.

Basically, I really liked this story, but the editing issues detracted from my overall enjoyment.